04 March 2014

0

{Review} Grim - Various Authors


Grim by Various Authors edited by Christine Johnson
Genre: YA Fairy Tale Retellings
Release Date: Feb 25 / 2014
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Inspired by classic fairy tales, but with a dark and sinister twist, Grim contains short stories from some of the best voices in young adult literature today:

Ellen Hopkins, Amanda Hocking, Julie Kagawa, Claudia Gray, Rachel Hawkins, Kimberly Derting, Myra McEntire, Malinda Lo, Sarah Rees-Brennan, Jackson Pearce, Christine Johnson, Jeri Smith Ready, Shaun David Hutchinson, Saundra Mitchell, Sonia Gensler, Tessa Gratton, Jon Skrovan

Two things:
New bleed setting so you need to add more to the top and bottom.
No copy in Joint.


*A copy was provided by the publisher for review*
Thank you so much to HarlequinTeen!

Grim is an anthology full of short story retellings. There were 11 in total. Most of them were pretty okay while some were favourites. There were even two that I skipped 'cause I couldn't get into the story.

My favourite short stories from this anthology are Figment by Jeri Smith-Ready, Better by Shaun David Hutchinson, and A Real Boy by Claudia Gray. Those were the best stories in this anthology. I loved Figment, where I got to be Fig. He had real feelings even though he was just a figment and those magical moments he shared with his owners were the best. Better reminded me a bit of Frankenstein (though I doubt that was a retelling of it). I felt the girl's desperation to save the boy and how she insisted that she has real feelings. A Real Boy was a romantic one. Faced with a decision to be selfless, the main character chose for the better and it was a romantic, heartbreaking love story.

Those three were the ones I had to highlight. There were also two or three that I skipped because it was boring. I think this anthology is great if you're really into story retellings. Each story had a different voice and a slightly different tone to them. It's really diverse and I'm sure everyone would find a story that's dear to them.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Please comment below and I'll reply and return the favor! Leave me a link to your post and I'll definitely come check it out :)