26 September 2013

2

{Review} The Book of Lost Things - Cynthia Voigt


The Book of Lost Things by Cynthia Voigt
Series: Mister Max #1
Genre: MG Mystery
Release Date: Sept 10 / 2013
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Max Starling's theatrical father likes to say that at twelve a boy is independent. He also likes to boast (about his acting skills, his wife's acting skills, a fortune only his family knows is metaphorical), but more than anything he likes to have adventures. Max Starling's equally theatrical mother is not a boaster but she enjoys a good adventure as much as her husband. When these two disappear, what can sort-of-theatrical Max and his not-at-all theatrical grandmother do? They have to wait to find out something, anything, and to worry, and, in Max's case, to figure out how to earn a living at the same time as he maintains his independence. This is the first of three books, all featuring the mysterious Mister Max.


*A copy was provided by Random House for review*

The Book of Lost Things is a middle grade novel about a kid named Max. His parents had gone mysteriously missing on their trip to India and it's up to Max to earn money for a living while they're gone while solving his parents' possible kidnappings at the same time.

This book took a while for me to get into. The beginning didn't really grab at my attention but during the middle, things started to get more exciting. I enjoyed reading about the different cases solved but it was really chance that helped Max solved it. Things were definitely always interesting with Max and he is always thinking about new possibilities.

Overall, The Book of Lost Things is a mediocore middle grade book that was enjoyable for me to read about. Its mysteries and the everyday life of Mister Max was very intriguing, indeed. 

Rating:



2 comments:

  1. I'm not too sure that I'd like this one very much, especially how you mention that it was hard to get into, I am world's most impatient person, heh.

    Fab review, Ariella! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that this one wasn't all that fantastic, for you- the cover drew me in, and I'm saddened to hear that it was only mediocre, because that is a super neat cover!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Please comment below and I'll reply and return the favor! Leave me a link to your post and I'll definitely come check it out :)