03 August 2013

6

{Review} For Darkness Shows the Stars - Diana Peterfreund


For Darkness Shows the Stars 

By Diana Peterfreund
Release Date: Jun 12 / 2012
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
It's been several generations since a genetic experiment gone wrong caused the Reduction, decimating humanity and giving rise to a Luddite nobility who outlawed most technology. Elliot North has always known her place in this world. Four years ago Elliot refused to run away with her childhood sweetheart, the servant Kai, choosing duty to her family's estate over love. Since then the world has changed: a new class of Post-Reductionists is jumpstarting the wheel of progress, and Elliot's estate is foundering, forcing her to rent land to the mysterious Cloud Fleet, a group of shipbuilders that includes renowned explorer Captain Malakai Wentforth--an almost unrecognizable Kai. And while Elliot wonders if this could be their second chance, Kai seems determined to show Elliot exactly what she gave up when she let him go. But Elliot soon discovers her old friend carries a secret--one that could change their society . . . or bring it to its knees. And again, she's faced with a choice: cling to what she's been raised to believe, or cast her lot with the only boy she's ever loved, even if she's lost him forever. Inspired by Jane Austen's Persuasion, For Darkness Shows the Stars is a breathtaking romance about opening your mind to the future and your heart to the one person you know can break it.




For Darkness Shows the Stars totally bought me with the cover. Isn't the cover gorgeous, though? Sadly, this book didn't live up to my expectations.

There were things that I liked but overall the pace really slowed down the story and things would get boring. 

I liked the idea of how the humans develop technology to make themselves gods. That's the story of how the Reduction came about.


The ending of this book was good and I was happy Elliot made a good decision in her life to fulfill her dreams. The romance was a bit baffling. One minute, Kai hates her and the next he's begging to fly away with her.. I mean, what the hell?! I do not understand this :s

The synopsis said this is inspired by Jane Austen's Persuasion. I cannot say how they're alike since I've never read Persuasion. I do like Jane Austen books though so I need to pick that one up.

The bad thing about this one is that the pacing was too slow for me. I grew really bored at times (actually, most of the time) and I kept waiting for Elliot to stop blubbering about her unrequited love toward Kai. Elliot was a bit annoying because she was going on and onnn about how Kai changed and he wasn't the same and blah blah blah. Every time, something she wasn't expecting happens (breaking the law), she would run out the door and vent out her feelings. She does the exact same thing. She has broken the law before. And she's disgusted toward her childhood best friend for that? She's such a hypocrite!!


Sadly, the bad points override the good ones and I'm not satisfied with this book. I will pick up the next though in hope that it turns out better.



Rating:

6 comments:

  1. I really love the cover for this one and it sounds great, it's a bummer that you didn't enjoy this one as much. Pacing can be an issue for me at times. *sigh*

    Fab review, Ariella! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like slow pacing too. And it seems like the romance kinda takes over this book?? Such a shame cause the cover is pretty :( I hope you'll enjoy your next read!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slow paced books can get really annoying. But the cover for this one is really pretty, so it's a shame you didn't really like it.

    ~Sydney@Pika Pages

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww that cover really IS gorgeous! :( I was meaning to pick this up because the idea of the Reduction and everything is new interesting to me, but I definitely don't feel so enthusiastic now that there's a big letter 'D' on there. Haha! And since we're around the same age, I think our thoughts won't differ :O This was a great review, nonetheless! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm if you have different tastes, you might like this one. It was just such a let-down for me -___-

      Delete
  5. Oh, I'm sorry this one didn't work out for you! I've been waiting to read it for ages (am a Jane Austen fan too, but haven't read Persuasion yet, either) but it's never been available at my library and I think I'd prefer to preread it there before buying directly. The cover is the first thing that made me really want to read this retelling, too, because oh my it's just so beautiful! I hope the next book (I didn't actually know it was a series) is a heap better going for you, and I hope I like this when I manage to get it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Please comment below and I'll reply and return the favor! Leave me a link to your post and I'll definitely come check it out :)