09 August 2013

0

{Review} The Colossus Rises - Peter Lerangis


The Colossus Rises by Peter Lerangis
Series: Seven Wonders #1
Genre: MG Mythology
Release Date: Feb 5 / 2013
Publisher: HarperCollins

One Boy
Jack McKinley is an ordinary kid with an extraordinary problem. In a few months, he’s going to die.
Jack needs to find seven magic loculi that, when combined, have the power to cure him.
One Problem
The loculi are the relics of a lost civilization and haven’t been seen in thousands of years.
Seven Wonders
Because they’re hidden in the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.


The Colossus Rises is something I came across while browsing through my local bookstore. I usually don't find books that way but this looked pretty promising. I picked this up because a) it looked like a great MG, b) it was recommended by Rick Riordan who is the author of Percy Jackson, and c) it sounds Percy Jackson-esque. The boy on the cover also reminded me of Avatar the Last Airbender, which is my favorite TV show ever. It's also written by Peter Lerangis, who wrote some of the 39 Clues books (which I found out later).

The Colossus Rises is centered around Jack McKinley and his friends (Marco, Cass, and Aly). They all have this gene that make them have access to super powers. They each have different talents and qualities. Marco is a perfect soldier who is great at physical activities. Aly is a hacker who is great with computers. Cass is a human GPS who is smart as hell. And Jack.. he doesn't really have a talent. He feels like a misfit.  I think these characters fit well together. They all make jokes instead of one character who is the one who's funny. They fit together and they make a great team. I love seeing them develop their friendship with each other and learning to trust each other.

This book is focused on how their super powers comes from Atlantis, which means there's a bunch of mythology. There were lots of puzzle-solving along the way and we get to see mythical creatures such as griffins. I haven't read a mythology book in a while and it reminded me why I loved it so much.

The Colossus Rises is a great Middle Grade adventure book that I can't wait to read more about. From its great set of characters to its dash of action, this one was is a refreshing MG book to read.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Please comment below and I'll reply and return the favor! Leave me a link to your post and I'll definitely come check it out :)