28 February 2013

0

{Review} City of a Thousand Dolls - Miriam Forster




City of a Thousand Dolls by Miriam Forster
Release Date: 02/05/2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
An exotic treat set in an entirely original, fantastical world brimming with deadly mystery, forbidden romance, and heart-stopping adventure.
Nisha was abandoned at the gates of the City of a Thousand Dolls when she was just a child. Now sixteen, she lives on the grounds of the isolated estate, where orphan girls apprentice as musicians, healers, courtesans, and, if the rumors are true, assassins. Nisha makes her way as Matron’s assistant, her closest companions the mysterious cats that trail her shadow. Only when she begins a forbidden flirtation with the city’s handsome young courier does she let herself imagine a life outside the walls. Until one by one, girls around her start to die.
Before she becomes the next victim, Nisha decides to uncover the secrets that surround the girls’ deaths. But by getting involved, Nisha jeopardizes not only her own future in the City of a Thousand Dolls—but her own life.


City of a Thousand Dolls kept me entertained with its mysteries throughout the whole book.

Nisha was abandoned at the City when she was young and she grew up there. All the girls trained in different houses and at 16, they would go to the Redeeming so men can buy them for a price. Nisha can also talk to cats which I find really cool :)

In the synopsis, it said something about deadly mystery and heart-stopping adventure. While it isn't exactly heart-stopping, it isn't too shabby. I found myself enjoying all the different clues Nisha found. There were certainly some parts that I found was too easy for her (e. g. finding the assassin's house). As for the murder's identity, I was *kind of* surprised. There was a foreshadowing on that in the book, so I wasn't all that surprised.

The synopsis also included something about forbidden romance. That wasn't all that interesting. I didn't find myself cheering for Devan (the young noble courier) at all. I was actually hoping for someone who was completely out of the picture (like for them to have a romantic relationship is impossible). But all was well in the end because I think they figured out how they liked each other.

My favorite part out of all of this was the Shun which were some kind of shapeshifters. I also really liked the talking cats as well! Wouldn't it be so cool if you can talk to the kitties? I also found the Asian translations quite interesting as I am Asian myself :)

Overall, I would recommend this one to mystery and adventure lovers who I'm sure won't be disappointed by this book!

Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Please comment below and I'll reply and return the favor! Leave me a link to your post and I'll definitely come check it out :)